Walking offers unique physical and mental benefits for people of all ages. Take a closer look at the benefits of walking and how residents at The Ackerly at Timberland take advantage of our ideal location near beautiful walking trails.
Benefits of Walking for Senior Health
Walking is an excellent exercise for people of all ages. Walking is a great way to relieve stress, improve cardiovascular health, and increase muscle strength from small children to older adults. Because walking has a lower impact on joints than other forms of cardio exercise, seniors can continue walking for longer, only increasing health benefits. Additionally, walking has been shown to have the following benefits:
- Help seniors maintain a healthy weight
- Lower the risk of chronic illness, including heart disease, colon cancer, and diabetes
- Reduce blood pressure, even for people with hypertension
- Improve balance and coordination
- Decrease the risk of a fall
- Increase energy levels
- Increase mobility and keep joints flexible
- Reduce feelings of anxiety or depression
- Prevent osteoporosis and osteoarthritis
- Create social connections through walking groups
Residents Enjoy Walking Trails Near The Ackerly at Timberland
The Ackerly at Timberland is located near several walking paths in the Tualatin Hills Parks and Recreation District. Our independent living, assisted living, and memory care community is very active, and residents enjoy getting out and walking the trails regularly.
“I walk daily, I like to go very early when is quiet. I love to see and hear the birds, I have seen how the beavers saw down the trees to make dams, there are duck and geese in the wetlands with their babies in tow.” Eileen, resident at The Ackerly at Timberland
The Ackerly at Timberland is now accepting new residents! Contact us today for a tour and to learn more about our active community. We can’t wait for you to join us for our next nature walk!
Live Big. Live Bold.
Retirement should feel like you’re on a permanent vacation which is exactly why our communities celebrate freedom from obligation, helping you pursue new interests.